Friday, January 23, 2009

User accounts and hard drives

This week was short week since Villa was closed on Monday so just did my 4 hours on Wednesday. Mrs. Dow wanted to start keeping track of inventory so I have been working on a database for the last couple weeks. I spent a good bit last weekend getting all the backend buttoned up and the switchboard and forms ready. This weekend I'll work on my querys for the reports and hopefully finish it all off.
Wednesday was pretty straight forward since I just finished installing the new computers in the library last week. I had one laptop that need to be prepped to replace one of the teachers old computers. Nothing special, just add her user account, configure outlook, import her favorites, update everything, delete the old user accounts and get her document folder targeted to her network drive. Next up was a projector that was showing some funny coloring. The red and green on the smart board were not showing correctly so I went in and checked all of the color settings within the computer. They were all fine so I moved on to check the projector itself. Again, nothing wrong on that end. That projector is just a couple weeks old so Mrs. Dow decided it would be best to call the installers to come check it out. After that there was a desktop which would not log on; it kept giving an error saying the user account could not be found. I knew there was nothing wrong with two of the accounts I tried, so I decided to restart and plug the computer into a different drop with no avail. The next quickest test I could think of was swapping the network cards on the machine but it still didn't do it. I logged on locally and took the machine off the network then put it back on. Sure enough it did the trick and was back up and running. While I had it I took that opportunity to install SP3 and upgrade Symantec Anti-virus to the Symantec Endpoint I set up last semester. The principal's laptop has been bogging down recently so I started cleaning it last week. There was only 9 gigs left on the HDD so I want to get a bigger one in there. She likes to download new apps and keeps lots of music on there so it just seems smarter to pop a new hard drive in there then to clean the existing one just to have it fill up again. Also, she has a lot of sensitive data on there so shoving everything off to her network drive is out of the question. She also asked about some more ram, I'm not sure it is necessary, but I checked to see what we could do upgrade wise and left it up to Mrs. Dow. I don't think we're doing the ram but I know she was ordering the HDD so I'll install that next week. The last issue I dealt with was a laptop which was acting funny for the dance teacher. I checked the thing over top to bottom and tried to make it do something funny but it never did. I went back to check with the teacher at the end of the day and the computer had been fine since the morning. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks but I doubt it is anything other than the thing just acting a little funny on startup. I checked what was in the startup and turned off a few unnecessary things just to be sure. On my way out, the library barcode laptop froze up and lost recognition of the hard drive. At restart it was giving a disk read error so I shut it down and checked to make sure the drive was in all the way. I turned it back on and booted right up. The drive wasn't loose so it might be going bad. When I have time next week I will run some tests and replace the harddrive if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment